Kayak, Raft, and Accessory Rentals
Desert Voyagers is no longer in the rental business but will continue to operate first-rate guided river tours in Arizona. There are two great providers in the Valley for rental services that we can recommend:
- Arizona Hiking Shack: Locally owned since 1972, they have you covered with all your outdoor needs. Offering rentals for activities like boating gear and instruction, backpacking gear, camping gear, orienteering instruction, technical canyoneering gear and instruction, and rock climbing gear and instruction.
- 3244 East Thomas Road Phoenix, AZ 85018
- www.hikingshack.com (602) 944-7723
- Saguaro Lake Ranch: “The Ranch” provides basic sit-on top Kayak rentals and shuttles on the Lower Salt River and Saguaro Lake only.
- 13020 Bush Highway Mesa, AZ 85215
- www.saguarolakeranch.com (480) 984-2194
Guided River Trips
Warm desert days call for refreshing water activities! Guided Kayak tours are a great way to cool off and relax while paddling along unexpectedly green riverbanks and towering red cliffs. Keep your eyes open for sightings of wildlife like majestic wild horses and bald eagles. Guided kayak tours on the Salt River offer a unique and rewarding perspective on the desert. We schedule each guided kayak tour to avoid crowds of river recreationists, making it the most enjoyable experience possible for you.
Take a scenic guided river rafting trip on the Lower Salt River and discover just how unique and unexpected the desert can be! The rivers outside Phoenix create a wonderful oasis for swimming, water fighting, or just relaxing as you float along. This family friendly activity has options to please everyone. Your guide will steer the boat and point out all the wonderful things about the desert around including the amazing wildlife. With only a little paddling on your part, this guided river trip is a great way to kick back and experience the outdoors and cool off on a warm desert day.
Stand Up Paddle Boards or SUPs are a fun way to experience the river from a new perspective! Paddle boarding has been growing in popularity because it is fun, simple, allows a full-body workout, and provides a great way to see the incredibly beautiful environment created by a desert river. Paddling a SUP is easy and requires no experience, only a willingness to learn!
What do you need to bring?
- Clothing – Comfortable, weather appropriate athletic clothing – shorts and a t-shirt, bathing suit, on cooler mornings long sleeves are advised. We recommend bringing a dry change of clothes for after your guided paddle board tour.
- Water shoes/sandals/old sneakers – These must stay on your feet at all times – sport sandals only please. Flip flops or bare feet are not allowed.
Sunglasses, sunscreen, camera, lip balm, medications, hat, etc.
Reservations, Payments, and Cancellation
Advance reservations are required and can only be confirmed with receipt of guest contact information and a valid credit card.
Final payment is due in advance of the tour. Guide gratuities are optional, but are appreciated.
There is no charge for cancellations made more than 48 hours before departure time. Cancellations made less than 48 hours from departure time will be charged in full.
Desert Voyagers operates guided kayaking, rafting, and SUP tours under permit by the Tonto National Forest.